Hume and Hovell’s expedition from Yass to Port Phillip in 1824 was accomplished by eight men; The principals Hamilton Hume and William Hovell, and six assigned convicts. The relationship between Hume and Hovell was not always harmonious…
In their book Sounding the Ground, local Historians Ron and Catherine Frew present a composite diary – accounts of the journey from the recollections of three on the expedition; Hamilton Hume, William Hovell, and Henry Angel, and the editor of the ‘Journey of Discovery to Port Phillip, New South Wales; by Messrs W.H. Hovell and Hamilton Hume (Sydney 1831)’ – Dr William Bland. We take up these voices from Horse Creek and Charcoal Gap diversion, Lankeys Creek.
Sounding the Ground – Nineteenth century journeys to Tumbarumba and the South East, Ron and Catherine Frew, Copyright © Ron and Catherine Frew 2012. Copies available from R&C Frew, Box 15 Tumbarumba NSW 2653.
Parklands gratefully acknowledge the support of the NSW Government, through the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage and the Heritage Council NSW, to make these Hume and Hovell Track stories.