Parklands Albury Wodonga acknowledge the Duduroa–speaking people who are the Traditional Custodians of the Land where the High Country Rail Trail is located. Parklands Albury Wodonga pays respect to the Elders, past, present and emerging of the Duduroa–speaking Nation.
“Bhudjeri” is a Duduroa word that means to “welcome”.
Meander for 30km along the foreshore of Lake Hume on the spectacular 112km High Country Rail Trail. A separate equestrian trail between Sandy Creek and Old Tallangatta means that horses rarely cross the cycling / walking trail. No two days, nor two seasons, are the same. The diverse birdlife of the Kiewa River woodlands contrasts with crystal clear reflections from Lake Hume. With regular parking and rest areas along the trail, you can explore sections at your leisure or cycle / horse ride from one end to the other, with a warm bed, cold beer and choice of eateries available. Learn about the significant heritage of this area at the Army Museum, Bonegilla Migrant Experience and the Lake Hume Village.
Explore the 14 historic timber trestle bridges between Granya Road at Bullioh (east of Tallangatta) and the Needles in the Upper Murray (west of Corryong) by following wayfinding signs for these short walks. We recommend a car shuttle to Shelley Station (the highest in Australia) before the 40km descent downhill to Tallangatta.
Things to do:
- Short or Long Bike Rides
- Observing Nature
- Short or Long walks
- Horse riding
- Scenic Views
- Citizen Science
- Dog Walking (On-leash)
- Join a local Rail Trail volunteer group
- Participate in Friends and Rail Trail Action Group events such as the High Country Harvest Festival, Jarvis Creek Jaunt, Shelley Wildflower Walk, Tallangatta Tall Trestle Treadle and Mahers Hill Explorer
Off the Murray Valley Highway at the following locations;
- Whytes Road, Bandiana
- Gullivers Lane, Bonegilla
- Ebden Reserve on Lake Hume, Bonegilla
- Ludlows Reserve on Lake Hume, Bonegilla
- Huon Reserve on Lake Hume, Huon
- Murrays Wayside Stop on Lake Hume, Sandy Creek
- Tallangatta Township
- Mitta Mitta Lookout, Old Tallangatta
- Old Tallangatta Lookout, Old Tallangatta
- Darbyshire Wayside Stop, Darbyshire
- Boggy Creek Trestle Bridge Lookout, Koetong
- Shelley Station, Avalon Road, Shelley
- Walking Tracks
- Picnic Tables
- Toilets and water at Ebden, Ludlows, Huon and Tallangatta
- Cafes, takeaway and general stores at Gateway Village, Wodonga, Lake Hume Village, Tallangatta and Koetong Pub.
- Gateway Island to Wodonga: 2km of rough ballast high amongst the tree tops. Not yet open.
- Wodonga to Whytes Rd, Bandiana: 7km of mix of rough ballast and gravel. Suitable for mountain bikes.
- Bandiana to Sandy Creek: 17km gravel. Suitable for touring, hybrid and mountain bikes.
- Sandy Creek to Old Tallangatta: 18km bitumen. Bitumen surface not suitable for roadbikes.
- Old Tallangatta to Bullioh: 15km rough ballast. Opening later this year!
Bullioh to Shelley: 20km rough gravel. Suitable for mountain bikes and hybrids. Steep descent.
- Shelley to Cudgewa: 23km where work underway. Not yet open.
Colac Colac to Corryong: 9km bitumen. Suitable for most bikes.
From Wodonga Visitor Information Centre: follow pedestrian crossings of Hovell St, Lawrence St and Thomas Mitchell Drive onto the Rail Trail Link. This 7km paved trail is a mix of service roads and off road bike trails that run along the south side of Thomas Mitchell Drive, which becomes the Murray Valley Hwy at Bandiana. Follow the trail along the front of the Blazing Stump Hotel, the Bandiana Army Cinema and Wadsworth Barracks all the way to Kiewa Valley Hwy. It is at this point the trail becomes all off-road.
When Middle Creek is flooded at Whytes Road: go via the Kiewa Valley Hwy on Baranduda Trail, left into Baranduda Drive and left along Whytes Rd to the rail trail. Alternatively, head east on the Murray Valley Hwy for 3km and right into Gullivers Lane and the rail trail.
STAGE ONE starts at Whytes Road. The paved Rail Trail Link trail becomes a gravel trail for the next 19km to Sandy Creek bridge. This section is suitable for mountain bikes and hybrids.
The High Country Rail Trail skirts the foreshore of Lake Hume for 30 picturesque kilometres. Take a break at the 600-metre long Sandy Creek bridge or the nearby picnic tables and viewing platform. The section between Sandy Creek bridge, Tallangatta and the Mitta Mitta River is sealed.
STAGE TWO is best started at Shelley Station, the former highest railway station in Australia. Freewheel downhill for 20km through Pine Plantations, State Forest and over recently restored trestle bridges. The next 15km is scheduled to open next year. Take care crossing the Murray Valley Hwy near Koetong Hotel. Detour onto the Murray Valley Highway for 2kms from the spectacular 77-metre long Boggy Creek Trestle Bridge. The rough fire trail-type surface is suitable for mountain
There are many accommodation options in the Albury Wodonga area.
The accommodation listed below are located within cycling distance of the High Country Rail Trail.
Warrina Motor Inn
31 High St, Wodonga VIC 3690
Tel 02 6024 2211
★★★✩ Backs onto Gateway Island bike trail
46 Reid St,
Wodonga VIC 3690
Tel 02 6043 8300
Comfort Inn and Suites
4327 Anzac Pde,
Wodonga VIC 3690
Tel 02 6056 3433
★★★★✩ motel, sc & spa suites
Boathaven Holiday Park
33 Boathaven Rd,
Ebden VIC 3691
Tel 02 6020 6130
★★★★✩ sc, caravans & camping
Ibis Styles Albury Lake Hume Resort
Lake Hume Village, NSW 2640
Tel 02 6026 4444
★★★✩ sc cottages & luxury motel
Lake Hume Tourist Park
Lake Hume Village, NSW 2640
Tel 02 6049 8100
Binderee Grove B&B
1497 Murray Valley Hwy,
Tel 02 6071 8610
Bike and horse rider accommodation
Lakelands Caravan Park
Queen Elizabeth Dr, Tallangatta
02 6071 2661
★★✩ sc, caravans & camping
77 Towong St, Tallangatta VIC
Tel 02 6071 2513
Tallangatta Motor Inn
1 Akuna Ave, Tallangatta
Tel 02 6071 2208
2 Banool Rd, Tallangatta
Tel 02 6071 2672
Basic pub style
Redgum Bed & Breakfast
Tel 0408 800 655
Tullimbar Log Cabins
7462 Murray Valley Hwy,
Tel 02 6072 5286
Murray Valley Hwy, Koetong
Tel 02 6072 7530
Shelley Forest Camp
Avondale Rd, Shelley
Tel 02 6072 7531
Bunks and shared commercial kitchen