The Mitchell family association with this area began in 1842 when matriarch Elizabeth Mitchell moved with her young family to take up the Mungabareena Run. Bought for her by her brother Paul Huon, from C.H. Ebden, this had been the first ‘run’ formed on the then Hume River. Under Elizabeth’s, and later her son James’ management, the property expanded from 3,000 acres to become the 50,000 acre Table Top Station.
Alice Rouse is the last of the Mitchell family still living on Mitchell land. This is Alice’s story.
Parklands gratefully acknowledge the support of the NSW Government, through the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage and the Heritage Council NSW, to make these Hume and Hovell Track stories.